Brutus

A collection of writings, rants, and general observations on American politics.



Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Matter of Principle Over Emotion.

Often times I find myself very separated in what I see as good personal policy and what should remain as good public policy, and since I deem my personal policies to be, well personal, I speak here, rather to notions of public policy, and that at times makes me come off as cold and heartless. But this is also where I think the root of many discussions have gotten off track in the dialogue of public policy. A government that is not limited to a set of principles is constantly growing the scope of what it will govern. So rather than keep the debate on whether it is the role of government to do this or that, we get caught up in whether we personally approve of it, which causes the divide in debate. Also we must remember that some things that are good public policy are still not appropriate for our form of a republic style government. For instance I will share a question that had me scratching my head for a bit. On the one side I do not believe in the ability of government to determine how I spend my money, and yet I am sick of people being able to buy elections because of rich supporters. Principle tells me that no matter how much I hate lobbyist being able to buy politicians and race outcomes, it is not the role of a government of free people to determine how best to control such a practice. Beyond principle, one could also argue to the unintended effects of such legislation and the ability to always find a loop hole would only make matters worse. No, this is one where, at least in my opinion, it is the responsibility of the people to stop the practice. We could stop it. I am astounded some times when people say things to the effect that "it's always been that way". All of society, its strengths and weaknesses are only what the masses believe them to be. We are united not by lines of a map nor bound to a certain definable creed, but we all claim to be American, free, and so on. It is because we believe this that makes it so. If tomorrow we the people decided that if a politician would make better as a public servant if they would abstain completely from the lobbyist then we would never see another. So, the labels of greedy and hateful, while very effective in tearing someone down personally, doesn’t  really add much in the scope of national governance debate. So the next time you enter into a discussion with a friend, family member, or just some person on the street, about what you believe is right for the country, do not allow the argument to spiral into emotional feelings, especially those based on a personal faith in how something should be. I am speaking to this, because I am tired of talking with likeminded conservatives who are just afraid of debating such topics with anyone who disagrees because they are afraid of being called names and being treated as if they want all the poor people in America to suffer rather than lend a little support, when in reality, nothing could be farther from the truth. I hope that this may inspire someone who may have been reluctant in the past to speak without fear in the knowledge that their position is based on principle and not emotion.

Brutus Sophos Monticello

No comments:

Post a Comment